Hope Payson, LCSW, LADC, is a licensed clinical social worker, alcohol and drug counselor, and an EMDRIA Approved Consultant who specializes in the treatment of addiction and trauma. She has over 30 years of experience working in a variety of community mental health and addiction treatment settings and has presented in a wide range of conferences within the US and internationally.
Hope currently coordinates a group private practice and provides training and consultation services to clinicians working in private and community settings. She is actively involved in helping addiction focused treatment programs integrate EMDR therapy throughout all phases of their programming. She is also the producer of the documentary Uprooting Addiction: Healing from the ground up.
It's easy to get started!
Go to Course Enrollment below and start the checkout process.
EMDR Professional Training™ Members: Find your coupon code in your Membership course > Discounts and Deals. Then, enroll now and enter the coupon code for this course when prompted. Complete your enrollment at your Membership price.
Regular enrollment: Enroll now and complete at the regular enrollment price.
Have a Coupon? Enroll now and enter the coupon code when prompted. Coupon codes are not case sensitive.
- Access to exclusive videos and resources
- Private discussions and opportunities to consult with our training team
- Monthly study groups with Dr. Curt Rouanzoin
and Dr. Michelle Gottlieb
Discounts on Live and OnDemand advanced Trainings
All for Only $9/month!
(Find your discount code in your membership course.)
Notes Pages for Power of the Pain
More handouts for the course
Video #8 Motivational Interviewing with Kate Becker
Video #9 -- Interview with Adam Horner
Video # 10 Interview with Sharon Gera
Video #11 Interview with Rehna Becker & John Goldman
Video # 12 Power of the Pain -- Post Test Review
You've Finished the Course! Now What?
Quiz and CE Certificate from CE-Classes.com
The Power of the Pain: EMDR Therapy, Addiction, and Recovery
- 12.5 hours of video content
- 12 professional and EMDRIA CEs
Program Abstract/ Program Description
This workshop explores the use of EMDR therapy in the treatment of substance use disorders and process addictions—specifically with clients who are not yet abstinent or new to recovery—by discussing the unique treatment considerations that arise during each phase of the EMDR protocol when treating this population. The individual and cultural factors that increase vulnerability to developing an addictive disorder are reviewed throughout the training. Additionally, common risk factors and assessment issues, addiction specific resources and preparation work, how to addresses and desensitize triggers, urges, cravings, avoidance defenses and “positive feeling states”, and the use of the standard EMDR protocol in the treatment of addiction are all taught and highlighted with case example, video clips and guided practice. No modification of phases 3-6 of the standard EMDR protocol are proposed. Video recording of addiction specialists from throughout the world are used to address common questions and concerns when working with this population. A special review section assists participants in integrating the learning material while preparing for the post test.
Through the use of lecture, experiential exercises, case presentations, handouts, and video clips, upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
1. Describe how trauma symptoms increase vulnerability to addiction.
2. Explain the basic findings of the ACE (Adverse Childhood Experience) Study and the impact of Community Adverse Experiences.
3. Identify two common resourcing needs of persons with histories of complex trauma and addiction.
4. Identify at least 2 addiction specific stabilization options to use in Phase 2 of EMDR therapy.
5. Describe the steps involved in addressing and desensitizing cravings, urges and triggers related to substance/behavioral addictions.
6. Define the term: maladaptive positive feeling state.
7. Identify how to address the maladaptive “positive” feelings, body sensations or cognitions linked to addictions.
8. Recognize when the use of Addiction Protocols would be appropriate.
9. Identify treatment planning options when working with clients in various stages of addiction and recovery.
10. Describe how the float back technique can be used to create a treatment plan to address common treatment barriers.
11. Identify history taking questions that can be used to assess readiness for trauma processing.
12. Describe how to use motivational interviewing techniques in the history taking Phase of EMDR therapy.
13. Identify the common negative and positive cognitions endorsed by clients with addictive disorders.
14. Describe when addressing underlying trauma using Standard Protocol EMDR would be appropriate.
EMDR International Association (EMDRIA) CEs
- The American Psychological Association (APA). CE-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CE-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP. Expires 3/31/2025.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-174-0225. Expires 02-2025.
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education.
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: (TBD)
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – CE-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- New York Mental Health Practitioners Board. CE-Classes.com, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0260.
- New York Psychology Board. CE-Classes.com, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0211.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2024. Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2024.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
This training does not offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers.
Certificates are awarded online after completion of the workshop. Participants print their own certificate after registering at CE-Classes.com, entering a keycode, taking the course exam, and completing an evaluation form.
“Hope is a master clinician, with a wealth of knowledge, wisdom and passion for the topic of treating addiction and underlying trauma. Extremely useful conceptually and practically.”
“Very information, compassionate and trauma sensitive. Lots of clear, useful information for doing various Addiction Protocols and also integrating them with Resourcing and Standard EMDR. Excellent Presenter!”
“The leader was warm and engaging. Very professional and informative.”